01 September 2008

shrimp scampi over rice pilaf



If you remember from the steak post from last week, I've been planning on making chicken piccata. But, after a day of shopping yesterday, we really didn't feel like running to the grocery store to pick up chicken. Luckily, a trip to Costco a few days ago produced a bag of frozen shrimp. So, while there still was no chicken piccata for us, shrimp scampi was had.

And while cleaning out the pantry yesterday, I accidentally dumped all of our thin spaghetti and linguine on the floor. Thus, we have a serious lack of dry pasta going on right now. I served the shrimp scampi over rice - made how my mother and grandmother make rice. I guess it could be considered a rice pilaf.

For the shrimp scampi, I tried this recipe from Cooking Light, except I halved the amount of shrimp but left the rest of the ingredients the same (for two servings), added some mushrooms, and half of a teaspoon of paprika. There are a few things that I would change for next time that I think would make this perfect:
  1. Use 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of butter.

  2. Use 1 clove of crushed garlic, instead of minced and add it before adding the shrimp (be careful not to burn the garlic!). The garlic didn't cook for long enough to break down, so we found ourselves chewing on garlic bits. When using crushed, the flavor is much stronger, so you'll essentially need to use less to accomplish the same garlicky flavor.

  3. Only use the parsley as a garnish. There was far too much of it, but that was my fault!


Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
14 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup Sauvignon Blanc or other dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Instructions
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 1 minute. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in wine, salt, and pepper; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 30 seconds. Add parsley and juice; toss well to coat. Cook 1 minute or until shrimp are done.

Serves 2.


Rice Pilaf

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1-2 tablespoons orzo, or thin spaghetti broken into smaller (1/2" - 1") pieces
1 1/2 cups white rice (we used jasmine)
2 cups beef stock

Instructions
Saute the pasta (orzo or spaghetti) and the butter in a medium saucepan until the pasta has turned a golden brown color. The butter may brown, but watch that it doesn't burn. Add the rice and beef stock, and cook to rice package directions. I just added the pasta and butter into our rice cooker with the stock and rice.

Side note: I always wondered why my rice never tasted quite as good as my mom's or grandma's, but I think it turned out quite tasty with the beef stock. I usually just make it with water. Also try topping this rice with toasted almonds or pine nuts. Yum!

Serves 3-4, but we always like leftover rice.

No comments: