09 February 2009

seriously yummy (and simple) french onion soup


I'm not feeling well this evening and figured that chicken noodle soup was a must. But, I only had beef broth in the pantry so French onion soup it was! I never realized how simple it would be to make! You definitely need to try this recipe.

Freddy and I derived this from several other recipes. I left the cheese and bread off the top of mine - I didn't think that it was needed. But, I might take the tip from Cooking Light next time and toast a bit of cheese on top of a slice of baguette.


French Onion Soup
Serves two

Ingredients
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 clove garlic, smashed and left whole (you'll fish this out later)
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 14-oz can beef broth (I used Swanson - use low sodium for a healthier option)
Dash worshtechire sauce
1 small pinch of dried thyme (or 1 fresh thyme sprig)
2 slices toasted baguette
Shredded swiss or gruyere cheese (we used sliced mozzarella)

Instructions
Heat oil in a soup pot. Add onions, brown sugar and pepper, stirring frequently until onions are caramelized. Add garlic, worshtechire sauce, beef broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove garlic and thyme sprig, if used.

Transfer soup to ovenproof bowls. Top with toasted bread and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.

1 comment:

♥Domestic Diva♥ said...

yummm!! totally been looking for a good frend onion soup recipe..im going to try this, thanks!!!