11 October 2009

broccoli with orecchiette


I've made this several times, but never posted! It's become one of our weeknight go to dinners when I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Most of these ingredients you probably already have on hand.

I found the original recipe, from Gourmet magazine, to be a bit fussy and time consuming. So I simplified - using the same broccoli-pasta cooking method that I would normally use for my Velveeta macaroni and cheese.

Adapted from: Gourmet via Epicurious.com

Broccoli with Orecchiette

Ingredients
5 garlic cloves, smashed
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 (10-ounces) packages frozen chopped broccoli (do not thaw)
1/4 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and/or Romano plus additional for serving
1 pound dried orecchiette pasta

Instructions
Cook orecchiette in a large pot of boiling, salted water. With 8 minutes of cooking time to spare, add broccoli to the pot and boil until pasta is al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water.

Meanwhile, saute garlic in olive oil in saucepan until golden. Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and saute about 30 seconds more. Be careful not to burn the garlic or red pepper. Add broccoli, pasta, and reserved cooking water and stir to combine. When water has just about evaporated, add the cheese and stir until cheese has melted.

Serve and top with more cheese.

1 comment:

The Sluice Box said...

You do a very nice job of presenting and photographing your food.